Looking for low cost things to do in Austin? I’ve been an Austinite for over a decade (it’s hard to believe!). Here are 13 low cost things to do in the Austin area, most of these are even free!
For the History Buff:
1. Check out the Harry Ransom Center located on the University of Texas campus. Don’t miss seeing the Gutenberg Bible or the exhibit on Shakespeare. Admission is free! Also on campus is the Blanton Museum of Art that offers free admission every Thursday.
2. Catch up on your Texas history by going on a free guided tour of the Capitol of Texas.
3. Mount Bonnell is an Austin free-must-visit spot. It is one of the highest points within Austin City Limits and after a short hike you’ll see beautiful views of Lake Austin and downtown.
4. For a longer hike go to Bull Creek to view over 32 square miles of cliffs, waterfalls, and all around great views.
5. To hang out at the lake you can kayak, stand up paddle board, or just walk around Lady Bird Lake and then watch 1.5 million bats fly out from under the Congress Bridge around sunset.
Restaurants and Bars:
6. People watch or grab a drink on the historic Sixth Street downtown. My favorite restaurant in this area is the Iron Cactus, and my favorite rooftop bar (from my college days…) is Maggie Maes.
7. To grab a drink in a more low-key spot you can head west of Lavaca Street and visit the historic Driskill Hotel or get your game on at Kung Fu Saloon and play skee ball for free!
8. For a Sunday Funday you can go to Rainy Street downtown for free live music at Icenhauer’s (the cover band is awesome!!).
Just Outside of Austin:
9. In San Marcos, have a lazy day on the river by floating the Guadalupe River. Rent or bring your own tube then sit back and enjoy the ride.
11. In New Braunfels visit Texas’ oldest dance hall, Gruene Hall, built in 1878 and still operating.
12. Check out more of the Texas Hill Country in Fredericksburg and choose from over 45 wineries to tour.
13. Remember the Alamo! Stop by San Antonio for a free tour of the Alamo or take a walk along the San Antonio Riverwalk.
You don’t have to put your social life on hold when getting out of debt with these 13 low cost things to do in Austin.